Search This Blog

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Sipping an iced coffee early on a Saturday morning is a wonderful thing!

Mine is cold brewed at home. It takes about twelve hours for the process from start to finish but the result is a smooth, less acidic coffee. I find it to be well worth the extra time. Not a bad payoff for a once per week process!

What I am most looking forward to today is lunch. Nothing fancy, very simple and it's homemade. Hummus and veggies! I whip up a batch of hummus every week with the help of my food processor. Sometimes it's plain, sometimes I add marinated artichokes or kalamata olives or eggplant, just about anything that appeals to me. Then I prepare some raw vegetables for dipping. Some of my favorites are: radish, jicama, celery, carrots and sugar snap peas. It makes for a very satisfying lunch....without the guilt.

Here's my recipe for Hummus:

1 can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 lemon (juiced)
1 clove of garlic (2 if you really enjoy a garlic, like I do)
2 tbsp of Tahini paste
Extra-Virgin Olive oil

Optional:
1 small jar of marinated artichokes (drained) or
10 sundried tomatoes or
1/2 cup of pitted Kalamata olives or
5 oil packed anchovies (drained)

Pop everything into the food processor, and give it a whirl slowly adding the olive oil. You want to achieve a smooth consistency. Just check it often, too much olive oil produces a thin hummus.

The hummus will keep for a week, refrigerated. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment