Search This Blog

Friday, August 20, 2010

Alcapurria Let Down

My search for the perfect alcapurria continues. Not since I ate my Aunt Angela's alcapurrias have I tasted one quite as good as hers. My Mom has made them and they are very yummy, but even she knows they are just not as good as Aunt Angela's. Charlie and I attempted to make them at home. Although they were very tasty, they were not the right consistency and the mess from frying them cured me of ever attempting to make them again. The picture I took of Charlie grating green bananas was worth the effort!

What exactly is an alcapurria? It is a deep fried patty made of grated green bananas and root vegetables, filled with seasoned ground meat. It seems everyone has their own version of it. I have found that the kinds you make in your home and the kinds you find in spanish restaurants are different in texture and color. But they both have their merits and I am a fan of them both.

A few months ago a good friend told me about El Bohio on 5th Avenue at 46th St in Sunset Park. One day after work I tried their alcapurrias and loved them. They were savory and crunchy, there was a nice portion of meat in every bite. Queen Foodie was very happy!

This past Wednesday I got the urge for one and so we drove by. I was disappointed when Charlie came back to the car empty handed. 4 o'clock in the afternoon and the had NO alcapurrias. It had to be a joke....

Yesterday we decided to give it another shot. Here I am dancing in the car as I see Charlie walking towards me alcapurrias in hand!! Woo Hoo!! We wrapped them in napkins and took a huge bite, so happy to get my fix.....

WTH?? These were not the alcapurrias I had previously enjoyed. These were bland and had a slighty sour taste. The filling could barely be called a filling, there wasn't much there. They were doughy and cold. Very disappointing.

Time to find a new spot....gotta hit Broadway in the Burg. Or maybe its time to give grating and frying at home another shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment